Happy Thanksgiving. Wherever you are, whoever you’re with, and however you’re celebrating (or not), I hope you’re having a great day. I hope you can take time to stop and be thankful, because there are always things to be grateful for.
I would go ahead and share the whole list of things I’m grateful for. But sometimes that list can seem too basic, too straightforward, too rote. Instead, here are the everyday things I’m thankful for, things I take for granted or just don’t even notice at all sometimes.
Some have explanations, and some don’t. Some of these may make sense, and some of them may not. And that’s okay.
- Yoga, and a body that is capable of doing (most of) it.
- Little pants, shirts, socks, and underwear.
- Words for when you need them, and no words for when you don’t.
- A hot cup of coffee that either really energizes me for my day, or at least makes me believe it does.
- Just the perfect picture captured on my phone that I may in fact frame and put on my wall someday.
- A warm pair of socks, blankets, a portable heater, seat warmers, hugs – anything that gives off warmth and comfort.
- Baby formula.
- Our broom.
- Making conversation, making eye contact, speaking up. Small victories.
- Paper and writing utensils.
- Going out to warm up my car a few minutes before we have to go somewhere.
- The places I’m from and the places I’m going.
- Turn signals and stop lights.
- Inside jokes and common ground.
- Food, holidays, and reasons to be together.
- Every person who reads these words.
What are you thankful for today?