This post contains affiliate links.
Sometimes I wonder what I would do with a whole day to myself. Maybe drive to the beach? Or instead spend a day in a spa? Perhaps shop until I literally drop? See how far I could get in a good book in the library or Barnes and Noble before they close? Write write write write write write write?
But that is a daydream and this is real life, my friends. If I can get in an hour for nap time, so much the better. Lately I’ve even been staying up until midnight just relishing the quiet and the ability to do whatever I want, which isn’t sustainable. Most days I’m scrambling for a few minutes.
We are starting something new with our church mom’s group, because many of us are seeing that same need. To take care of ourselves as well as our kids, so we don’t lose our minds during the day. And also make it happen with the time that we have. Usually, however, that time is rather short – maybe ten minutes at a time during the day.
So how about you? Got ten minutes?
Here are some self care ideas that will probably take you about that time – or longer if you have it.
- Give yourself a quick hand or neck massage.
- Watch YouTube videos that make you laugh, like our favorite, Jimmy Fallon.
- Make yourself a mug cake or a mug brownie, both of which are delicious. They take between thirty seconds to five minutes to bake in the microwave, and they usually have only a few easy ingredients.
- Read a little bit of a book, magazine, or perhaps a blog.
- Take some time to meditate. Some ideas: focus on a positive thought or phrase, imagine yourself somewhere relaxing, or walk yourself through a favorite memory.
- Give yourself a ten minute facial. Start by washing your face with a gentle cleanser. Apply a face mask, do a gentle face scrub, and finish with lotion or a face cream. Recommendations: first, I am obsessed with the Grown Alchemist Exfoliant I received in my FabFitFun box this season. I also have some Blue Tansy beauty cream on the way from Primally Pure that I can’t wait to try – it’s anti-inflammitory and has all kinds of nutrients for your skin. (Plus, use code JENN10 to get 10% off your order!)
- Try a few yoga poses or sun salutations, which can do enough good and give you gentle mindfulness to set you up well for a long time. Also, Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube is awesome, and she happens to have a simple 10-minute routine for self-care.
- Journal some positive affirmations, quotes, or scriptures. If you need a pretty journal, my favorites have this brand’s designs on them.
- Have a dance party. You can maybe incorporate your kids in as well – or just take a couple minutes to dance on your own.
- Have a good conversation with a friend, maybe even a text conversation.
- Take some time to enjoy – really enjoy – a beverage that you like. Meaning don’t let that cup of coffee or tea get cold as you take random sips from it throughout the day.
- Color! You can get free coloring pages online, or purchase a book to see your progress. My mom got me this one for Christmas one year, and I love it.
- Make a collage. Even just cutting pretty pictures out of magazines calms me down. (I guess that’s why I like Pinterest so much.)
- Take a quick nap, but set your alarm so you don’t snooze too long! Also, even a short nap can really re-energize you.
- Clear out a drawer, your dresser, your closet, your nightstand, or some other place with a lot of clutter. Even better, put some things aside to pass on to friends.
- Use an old t-shirt to make something new, even without sewing. I like this tutorial for a tote bag, and this one for a tank top.
- Give yourself a hand or foot scrub and lotion. And then enjoy your super soft hands.
- Take a shower or a bath.
- Make a list of things you’re thankful for. The book One Thousand Gifts really opened my eyes to how powerful gratitude is.
- Enjoy some time outside, by maybe taking a walk or having a picnic.
- Paint your nails, and relax in the down time while they dry.
- Make a list of things you like about yourself – maybe something you like about how you look, an accomplishment you’re proud of, something you’re good at, etc.
- Give yourself a facial steam, which you can customize with essential oils and extracts. This one sounds perfect.
- Make friendship bracelets! Embroidery thread is rather cheap, and you can get ideas for designs online – I like this one a lot. Plus, who doesn’t feel special getting a friendship bracelet?
- Listen to some music that makes you feel more like you. I have a couple playlists that help me feel better almost instantly.
Finally, it’s your turn! What are even more things that can be done for self care in ten minutes?