There are all kinds of social media channels out there, but I love Instagram the most. Beautiful pictures? Pretty outfits? Inspiring quotes? Delicious food? Instagram is the one place you can get it all. (Visually, at least.) It inspires me to stop and take note of the beauty already around me, and it gives me a reason to get creative in the everyday.
Lots of people are looking for more out of Instagram, and I’m one of them. I started with just a personal Instagram with posts that were anything amusing or fun. Now as I’m trying to build a community and brand, my new account that is more focused and curated. My goal is putting together the best pictures I can, while still being real. I’ve taken courses and webinars, and read posts to try to build a better ‘gram. Together, I’ve compiled for you the best tips for Instagram growth that I’ve tried, and showcasing the actual results I’ve seen from putting them to use.
Note: This post is entitled “tips for Instagram growth” and not “tips for Instagram followers.” You could get a whole bunch of accounts to follow fast in a bunch of different ways, including buying them. But to grow you Instagram into a community of real followers – that takes work that is worth the reward: a group of individuals (not just faceless likes!) that actually interacts with you.
1. Optimize your bio. Give your bio slot tons of personality! It’s the one of the first things someone sees when they look at your page. I know, similarly, I’m more inclined to follow people with clear info about themselves. Mine includes who I am, what I post about, a hashtag I started, and my email. Results: I saw more followers soon after I prettied up my bio. And it’s a lot of people who are interested in the same things I am, since they know what I post.
2. Post consistently at the same time/s every day. Most people recommend only posting once or twice a day, and I agree. Don’t overwhelm your follower’s home feed with your posts! Save posting for your best pics, only a couple times a day. You can use different apps to figure out the best time for you, and then post at those times.
Results: After starting to post once a day, at the best time for me, in the evening, and my “likes” went up to over a hundred for each post. I started seeing the same people like my photos, and am now interacting with them even more, which has been so fun.
3. Use the same editing app and filter each time. Since most people recommend editing your photos, I started to do just that – and ended up editing them all differently, which left me with a hodgepodge of different-looking pictures, even if they were pretty. The best advice I found to solve this was through Think Creative Collective, which recommended the app “PicTapGo”. It costs $1.99, but you can save your own filter to use again and again, so you use the same one each time.
Results: Now all my pictures are much more cohesive, and look like they belong together. You can see it instantly from my profile page.
4. Use hashtags that best fit your genre. The best way to reach out to other people who appreciate the same things? Hashtags. Now, which ones are the best? Check out Venus Trapped in Mars’s collection of hashtags that triple your likes.
Results: She’s right. They really do at least triple your likes. One night I posted a picture and forgot to add my hashtags. I got about 25 likes. I re-posted with hashtags. Over 100 likes.
- I’ve taken Helene in Between‘s Instagram for Success e-course. This girl has the stats to back up her great tips. She goes into editing and working with brands in detail. Plus she constantly updates the course, which you have forever access to, and also shares great tips through the course’s private Facebook page. It’s an investment, but I really learned a lot from the course.
- I also went through Small Talk Social‘s free email course, Wham.Bam.Instagram. It was hands-down the best free course I’ve taken on the topic! She helps you dive a little deeper into your posts and account and figure out what your goals are. She also has great posts on her blog about Instagram. Totally recommend.
- Skimbaco’s 10 Instagram Success Secrets I Wasn’t Gonna Tell
- Helene in Between’s 14 Photo Ideas for Instagram
- The Nectar Collective’s 11 Surefire Ways to Grow Your Instagram Followers
- The Shabby Creek Cottage’s Instagram Tips for How to Get More Followers
Like what you see? I’m putting together a 30-day challenge called #rockyourinstagram to help you grow your account. You can only get it by subscribing for my newsletter, which comes out monthly and always has a freebie. Sign up now, so you don’t miss out! (Challenge will go out February 1.)
So how am I doing? Come follow me on Instagram and see for yourself! Be sure to introduce yourself so I can check out your page, and feel free to share your favorite Instagram feeds in the comments below.