Ah, bedtime. A time that can go right, or so very, very wrong. It helps a lot when you can get a regular routine down, something to help baby wind down, and prepare them for bed. Here are some things you can use to make your own baby bedtime routines – figure out what works best for you and your little one!
1. Noise machine. A soft, background noise blurs out other noises. It helps Theo sleep, but I also think it helps him to know that bedtime is coming.
2. Books. We love story time before bed! It’s calming, and it’s a special time to share our favorite stories with our little guy.
That’s why I love BabyLit books – it’s my favorite novels, way abridged and put into board books with gorgeous, colorful pictures. They have a growing list of classic novels they have adapted, and each book has a theme, like numbers, colors, animals, and even camping!
3. Songs. A song or two before bed is another way to calm down and have special one-on-one time.
4. Bath. For some babies, it helps to calm them down. Warning: it doesn’t work with all (definitely not for us)!
5. Rocking. Something about the rhythm makes our little guy immediately start to snuggle and close his eyes. Swinging is another good choice.
6. Prayer or reflection on the day. We like to pray together before bed. My hope is to make it a habit with Theo now, so that he’ll make it his own habit in the future.
7. Pajamas. Change into comfy night clothes, another indicator that bedtime is coming.
8. Dim the lights.
9. Bottle. A full tummy just helps put you to sleep. It’s science. (Right?)
10. Nightlight or music on a timer. We have a little seahorse that lights up and plays music, but only for a short amount of time. Usually by the time it’s done, our little guy is out.
What kinds of things do you do for your bedtime routine? Do you have one?